In order to apply for compassionate release, a federal prisoner must first make a request for compassionate release by filing a BP-8 (Informal Resolution), then file a BP-9 with the warden of his/her institution, then file a BP-10 with the regional director of his/her area of confinement, and finally, file a BP-11 with the Central Office of the Bureau of Prisons in Washington, DC. This process is referred to as the exhaustion of administrative remedies. During the administrative remedy process, the prisoner must explain the grounds for compassionate release, where he/she will reside if it is granted, how he/she will earn a living, and his/her age. Once the prisoner receives a denial of the request from the Central Office in Washington, DC, he/she can then file a motion for compassionate release where he/she was sentenced, using the same grounds that were used during the exhaustion of the administrative remedies. The motion for compassionate release is governed by 18 U.S.C. Section 3582(c)(1)(A)(i). It’s really as simple as that